Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Cheryl's Input

Gary has encouraged me to share some of my thoughts on our trip. The expanse of wide open space and variety of landscape in the western states is incredible. Most impressive scenery so far has been the Tetons and the Badlands. Most enjoyable drive was through Custer State Park just out of Rapid City, S. Dakota and spotting wildlife close enough to the road to photograph. I shot several buffalo, antelope, wild burros, and fat woodchucks. Personally, I think Yellowstone is overrated and takes a distant fourth over the Tetons, Badlands, and even Oregon's Wallowa's.

Places I would enjoy returning to are Joseph, OR, and Cody, WY. I believe the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody rivals any exhibits I have seen at the Smithsonian. There are five separate exhibits and since we had limited time I had to prioritize. I chose the Plains Indians Museum and the Museum of Natural History. Barely had time for the latter - I was so absorbed in the Indian Museum. I have never before experienced such an unexpected emotional impact.

First, you learn about the Plains Indians culture, their respect and reliance on nature, their sense of family and pride in their children and their heritage, their resourcefulness in ways of survival combined with thankfulness to a higher power. You see examples of typical dwellings, implements for hunting and food preparation, and clothing and other regular aspects of their lives. Then, their world was forever changed because of the white man. The quotes of Indians relating their experiences and feelings was absolutely heartbreaking. Some of the accounts of their treatment by us was unbelieveable to me. The effect was so powerful even now I am having difficulty puttting this into words.

Cody appeared to be very clean and an authentic western town - none of the yuppie type of influences that seem to prevail in Jackson.

Today we spent traveling east across S. Dakota. Viewed the Badlands, experienced just briefly the oddity of Wall Drug, and enjoyed the acres and acres of sunflowers growing next to I-90. Until next time.

No comments: