Monday, October 22, 2007

Charleston, SC and points south


Wanted a taste of antebellum south so went to Charleston and got the flavor enough to know this also makes it to the list of places to return and linger longer. The history, the efforts of restoration and presentation of their past is very well done. The weather continues to cooperate with us. Sunshine, warm temperatures always make visits more pleasant. If we had hit Charleston at the same time as a hurricane our opinion might be different.
Concern was raised at the RV park outside of Charleston, a very well kept park, but it had a sign posted by the small lake. To me there was redundancy in the postings. The upper sign read, "No swimming" which is an understandable request. The sign immediately below it read, "Do not feed the alligators". If the first sign did not get me to stay away from the water, the second guaranteed compliance.
Driving through South Carolina I noticed a sign that smacked of a help wanted for a position in our advertising dept. The sign read "scenic marsh views". Advertising their proximity to a swamp did not entice me to seek them out so I could sleep with mosquitoes and alligators.
Today we leave Jacksonville, Florida, the southeast corner of our trip. We head west from here along the gulf coast. By week's end we will be holding our new grand daughter and complimenting her parents on a job well done. This is the first time on the trip I am thinking beyond today and the gifts that today may bring. Usually when I look ahead I can't see the opportunities placed before me to bring enjoyment to today.

No comments: