Sunday, October 14, 2007

Virginia and West Virginia

As Willie Nelson sings, "We're on the road again." While Kevin and Kate busily juggle the demand of career, personal life, and for Kate, her Master's degree program we realize how sweet it is to be living the retirement routine. Been where they are, enjoyed it and in most ways glad it is over.
The first stop as we head west into Virginia is Monticello, the home designed, built and lived in by Thomas Jefferson. While the building and accomplishments described by the tour guides were interesting a more pungent point was driven home to me.
After days of hot weather, dressing in sandals and shorts, feeling oppressed by humidity we experienced change. As we readied to board the bus to tour Monticello Cheryl suggested I change into something warmer before we left the Pleasure Way. As we stepped off the bus on top of the mountain to begin the tour I knew immediately -
I SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO MY WIFE!!
The wind blew. Even the bright sunshine could not help me. It was a cold autumn day, and, I had chosen poorly! I ducked in any available alcove. I stood in the middle of the tour group fighting for the space with another man who obviously had not listened to his wife either. I shivered. I shook. I finished the tour. It was a relief when we returned to the sheltering confines of the Pleasure Way.
Life with Cheryl on the road is good. It would be better if I LISTENED TO HER MORE.
The much anticipated trip through the mountains of West Virginia to see the glorious display of leaves was completed. However, we arrived, but Fall hasn't. If we wanted to see green trees we could have stayed in Oregon. A stop in Tamarack was worth it. Tamarack is the location where the craftsmen, artist and crafters of West Virginia display and sell their goods. It was SO impressive we stayed for over hours browsing and inspecting the art, crafts music and even food prepared by very accomplished artisns in each venue. A couple of books, a couple CDs to take with us comprised our purchases until we found the chef. I could not entirely pass up his offerings - the pastries were tempting, but I heard Cheryl's voice form over the years saying I should eat more vegetables. After not heeding her advice yesterday I found a way today- Fried Green Tomato Sandwich was the answer to her admonition. The new adventure was delicious. I again am reminded I SHOULD REALLY LISTEN TO HER MORE.
A brief stop at New River Bridge where sky divers jump just because it is high enough to do that sort of thing. A deep gorge spanned by an arched bridge is unique and picturesque. It would have been more magnificent if the fall colors had painted the walls of the gorge.
The trip was completed with a drive through the rugged terrain of the coal country. We had never seen coal country before and were surprised by the steep valleys and narrow hollows. Every day the Pleasure Way takes us to new sights, new experiences and new people.

What an opportunity we have been given.

No comments: